Wednesday, December 1, 2010

So many ideas, so little time!

I come up with about 10 new ideas every day, but only a few make it all the way to the end of the production line... Here are a few of the lucky ones:


A beautiful butterfly! Inspired by the fabric and beginning to think about spring, my mom and I collaborated to create this stunning 3D insect! The wings are sewn, turned, quilted, and securely sewn to the base of the window. Don't worry (safety first!), the window is a separate sewing stage, so the integrity of the window is intact (no matter how hard your child pulls on the wings). I love this new design! Check out the butterfly listing on Etsy to see more photos.



Bright eyed and bushy tailed! This cute little grey squirrel has been in my mind for weeks. He has an extra large viewing window and is really soft. I made the pattern awhile ago, but I couldn't find the right fabric. I'm not sure the grey is perfect (a little boring?), but I knew he needed to be fully realized whether I had it all figured out or not. I'll keep my eye out for the right fabric next time. Squirrels are very often brown where I come from (southern Indiana), but in Michigan (where I lived for many years until recently) they were often black. I know that grey squirrels are pretty common elsewhere.... maybe I should make mine pink or something just to cover all my bases? You can see more pictures of my little grey squirrel here on Etsy.


Sly cuddly fox! Isn't he cute? The tail is an appliqued piece of ivory fleece, and I free-styled with my machine the embroidery for his head and face. Perhaps I will make his nose a bit smaller on the next version, but I'm pretty happy overall. I've had this particular fabric for years - it took awhile to speak to me (thanks, mom!).




Hoot owls! One in brights, the other in naturals (well, if you consider plaid natural). I've sold a couple of pink owls so far, and have it listed again on Etsy. The original plaid owl sold, and I haven't yet remade it because I think the pattern needs some tweaking. Don't you think he would be cuter a little fatter? Oh yes. Fat is naturally cuter than skinny. Did I just say that? Hoot!




Last but not least - this clever little lady bug inspired by a dear friend's request for her ladybug birthday girl. The wings completely open to reveal the viewing window underneath. She even has little legs sewn into the seams. I have yet to make another one, but I'm sure I'll get around to it before spring is in full swing. Until then, you can see more pictures of it by viewing the sold listing on Etsy.

What is in the works, you ask? Well, I'm working out the kinks on a turtle for spring, and of course my pink and chocolate bunnies will be reappearing as we near Easter in just a few short months...

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear your thoughts!