Tuesday, August 11, 2009

3 weeks strong!

As I mentioned in an earlier post, I've begun a new work regimen by scheduling general tasks for each day of the week. How is it working so far? I'm happy to report that this is my third week, and it has worked wonders for me!

I'm seriously able to get so much more done in a day, and I'm really surprised at that. I think the amount of work looming over me was actually paralyzing and I wasn't accomplishing much.

With my new plan, I'm able to compartmentalize each of the tasks, and only work within that category for the day. For example, today is my "computer" day. I'm supposed to update my blog, work on PR opportunities, read my HARO queries, check in with my Etsy teams, Twitter under the Modern Handmade Child account (part of my contributions to the EtsyKids team), read up on the latest Etsy gossip in the forums, catch up on my blog reading, etc......

NOW, don't get me wrong - I cannot do all of that in one day. BUT, I'm able to just sit in front of the computer and do what I need to do. Allow myself to browse and read articles, and write posts, and not worry that I'm wasting my time. Because this is what I'm supposed to be doing today. And (lo and behold) it actually brings me business, and keeps me informed of the amazing cyberspace art-i-verse. Before this plan, I would feel guilty sitting in front of the computer and feel the need to be designing, or sewing, or photographing. But now I design on Mondays, sew on Wednesdays and the weekend (and the evening sometimes), and photograph on Thursdays.

If you have any trouble at all with time management, you should definately give this approach a try. It is just flexible enough that I'm able to get a lot accomplished, and not so rigid that I can't take a day off to shop for supplies, or have a play date, or have coffee with a friend. Instead of making me feel like I'm putting something off, I simply feel like I'm shuffling things around. Let me know if you are making over your time - I'd love to hear your ideas!

2 comments:

  1. That's a great idea! I'm not sure it would work with my attention span, but I think I might try it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do the same with the house... it's rarely all "clean", but I have a couple rooms each day I try to have "clean" by the time I go to bed. I realized there was no way to do a mass pick up/clean on only one day with the chaos of 3 kids and 2 pets!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear your thoughts!